Once the capital city of the Bundelas, Orcha (hidden place) is now just a village,
set among a wonderful complex of well preserved palaces and temples. The main Palaces were protected inside fortified walls on an island in the Betwa River. It is definitely worth a visit and a lot of travelers are beginning to discover Orcha's peaceful beauty. Tour groups do it in a couple of hours but it's a very relaxing place to stay, and you can even get a room in part of the palace here.
Orcha is approximately 220 Kms from Agra and a 4 hours drive by road. One can also catch a fast train - the Shatabdi Express from Agra and can reach Jhansi Rly Station in 2 hours time. Jhansi is 18 kms from Orcha. From Gwalior, Orcha is approx 110 kms and a 2 hrs drive away.
Crossing the bridge over the Betwa River to the fortified island brings you to three 17th-century palaces. The Jehangir Mahal is an impressive, rambling complex with good views of the countryside from the upper levels. There is a small archaeological museum on the ground floor. The Raj Mahal nearby has superb murals. Below the Jehangir Mahal is the smaller Raj Praveen Mahal, a palace built near a garden. The Hammam (bath house) and camel stables are nearby.
Orcha's impressive temples date back to the 16th century. They are still in use and are visited regularly by thousands of devotees. In the centre of the modern village is the Ram Raja Temple with its soaring spires. Originally a palace, it was turned into a temple when an image of Rama, temporarily installed, proved impossible to move. It now seems to have somehow made its way into the nearby Chaturbhuj Temple, where it is hidden behind silver doors.
The walled Phool Bagh gardens, a cool summer retreat beside the Palki mahal, are a memorial to Dinman Hardol. Also worth seeing are the impressive chhatris (cenotaphs) to Orcha's rulers, down by the Betwa River, about 500 m south of the village.
|Tour Itineraries for Orcha|
|Tourist Places around Agra:||Travel to Bharatpur
Travel to Gwalior
Travel to Karauli
Travel to Mathura
|Travel to Orchha
Travel to Sariska
Travel to Vrindavan
Travel to Chambal
- The driver Krishna was outstanding, polite, well-dressed and very patient. The road conditions were hazardous at times, but he negotiated them very capably. This is the second time I have used your company and I am extremely satisfied with your service. I will continue to recommend your company to colleagues visiting India and will be in touch for my next trip.......said Randy Bindra, USA travelled through us from 04 Mar. to 09 Mar. 2013
- We would like to thank you and your colleagues for a very well organised three week holiday. We thoroughly enjoyed it and everything worked very well. The overnight on the houseboat was a wonderful experience, it was such a change from being on the busy road, and to have the peace, silence and tranquillity for nearly 24 hours was indeed very nice. So, we can also recommend that and the two crew were very good indeed, and we thoroughly enjoyed the meals they provided for us. It was really good experience..........said Ketty Tomes, UK travelled through us from 28 Jan. to 17 Feb. 2013
- Thank you very much for great trip in India. My 4th trip to India has made that I'm more addicted to India than I was before (I thought that I couldn't be more addicted but I was wrong). I tell only positive things to all my friends about my trip and TSI. Maybe my girl friend decides to visit South India with 3 other girls. I also look forward to visit Ladakh and Kashmir.........said Robert, Poland travelled through us from 29 Jan. to 13 Feb. 2013
- Dear Manoj,
Everyone is safely home again after our spice discovery tour, and we can definitely consider it one of our successes. Once again you won everyone's hearts with your thoughtfulness and thoroughness in all our activities. I don't know how we would have coped with the flight cancellations between Udaipur and Madurai if you had not been there to sort it out! ..............said Liz and Ian, Australia travelled through us from 13 Jan. to 29 Jan. 2013
- Dear Manoj,
Our tour of your wonderful country was fantastic. I was returning, after 36 years, but it was Helen's first time and she loved every minute of the amazing journey. Our precious eighteen days seemed to stretch - there was so much to see and do! Each night we went to bed tired, and occasionally exhausted. And so, we really appreciated the extra effort made by all the Indian hotels to provide us with additional length in our double beds. Thanks you for making those arrangements. We were always very comfortable at night so we woke up refreshed, ready to enjoy the delights of the next day.........said Helen & Richard Walker, Australia travelled through us from 13 Jan. to 29 Jan. 2013
- We just want to thank for the amazing service provided to us. We are very happy and impressed with all assistance and support you gave us during the whole trip......said Manha Cleusa, Brazil travelled through us from 22 Oct. to 02 Nov. 2012
- We have enjoyed our trip to India and will certainly recommend TSI to any friends who wish to visit your beautiful country.....Dr. Chanvit, Thailand travelled through us from 11 Feb. to 20 Feb. 2012